Just couple of hours ago that Apple has rolled out its new iOS 5.1 update for the iOS devices, including all the latest generation devices, and with addition of the new patches on the iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Jailbreak. It is reported that iPhone Dev-Team has just started pushing important information to the jailbreak lovers, as the iOS jailbreak community quickly announced to the users not to update their newer generation devices to the iOS 5.1 at least the iPhone 4S and iPad 2, because both devices carry the A5 processor, which is not properly exploited by the teams from roots, and there is also no way to bring the older iOS firmware version on it.
However, it is now reported that the old jailbreak exploit is still in works on the iOS 5.1 but only for the older generation devices like the iPhone 4 / iPad, and iPhone 3GS but only tethered. The iPhone Dev Team has already pushed out the updated version of their Redsn0w tool to jailbreak the iOS 5.1 on the older generation devices, and the steps to jailbreak the iPhone 4 / iPhone 3GS on iOS 5.1 is pretty simple and the old one; you merely have to download the newest Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 on your machine and point the newest iOS 5.1 firmware for your device to the Redsn0w.
However, before jailbreaking your device on iOS 5.1 tetheredly, you first have to acknowledge that tethered jailbreaking requires you to connect your device to iTunes and jailbreaking tools every-time you want to re-boot. In tethered jailbreak, you have to connect your device to Redsn0w and push tethered button for every reboot of your device, if you don’t the reboot the device from the Redsn0w, your device will be stuck on boot logo, or start causing multiple errors to you.
Jailbreak iOS 5.1 On iPhone 4 / iPhone 3GS / iPad With Redsn0w 0.9.10b6:
- This is a *tethered* 5.1 jailbreak for non-A5 devices. You’ll need to use redsn0w to “Just Boot” your device every time it power cycles, otherwise jailbreak apps won’t work (neither will Safari).
- If you use ultrasn0w for your carrier unlock, be sure to use a custom IPSW to get to 5.1 first! Don’t ever restore to a stock Apple IPSW! Use redsn0w’s “Custom IPSW” button to create a NO_BB_* version of the 5.1 IPSW and restore to that instead of the stock one. (That option is available only to 3GS and iPhone4-GSM owners.) ultrasn0w itself will be updated for 5.1 in the next few days (same baseband support, not 5.1’s baseband).
- If you’re lucky enough to have an old-bootrom 3GS, this jailbreak is actually untethered (redsn0w will figure that part out automatically).
- While we were at it, we added @pod2g’s steaks4uce exploit to support MC models of the iPod touch 2G (whose last firmware was 4.2.1). So now redsn0w will auto-detect and jailbreak all versions of that older device.
- iBooks won’t work until a future update of redsn0w